Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Oh SNAP

I'm not a hothead - really, I'm not. I talk a good game when I rant about things that annoy me, but I'm actually very even-tempered and easygoing. Seriously. Shut up and let me finish.

I get frustrated and annoyed like anyone, but I don't FLIP OUT on people like someone I'm related to ("it's in the DNA!!!"). I let most things go - laugh it off and make fun of it later, here.

But there are things that I just cannot ignore, things I find so egregious that have to be dealt with or I won't be able to live with myself. Like when you pay for a cup of coffee and they don't fill it all the way up.

The other day I bought myself a present and a friend said I HAD to snap a photo of it when it arrived and post it for all to enjoy. I was happy to oblige.

I was also happy to support such a great cause. I love what this woman has done and that proceeds are donated to Planned Parenthood in Palin's name. I wish I'd thought of it.

As I normally do, I posted my handiwork on Flickr and enjoyed the supportive comments that immediately popped up.

Then someone I don't know, someone who found my photostream through a mutual contact posted a comment disapproving of the language I had used in the photograph [?]. He also didn't understand a joke in one of the comments from a friend of mine - but, I let it go.

I posted an incredibly polite, considerate reply explaining that I did not agree with him - that as Spalding Gray would say, there are no bad words... and that we should all remember this is my photostream and everyone has the choice not to look at if they don't like it.

His response to that was to post a giant reply lecturing me on my use of foul language and that I absolutely should be the morality police and censor my content for the entire world.

I didn't let that go. I posted one more response, a stronger yet still considerate message reiterating my position and I even explained that his original post was fair, but something about it just got under my skin and that this may not be an appropriate use of the platform. It was a polite Thanks, But Please Move On.

I'm sure you can guess what happened next. Another huge reply with him going off - it was so long I didn't want to take that much time to read what I knew would only annoy me.

One nice thing about Flickr is that at any time, should you want to, you can block a user and prevent him/her from commenting on your photos.

CLICK!

Blocking him removed every comment he'd ever made on any photo. It was like he'd never existed. Harsh, maybe, but why in the world would I waste more time debating some stranger who showed no respect for me or my content in the first place? Life is too short.

Then he had the nerve to email me directly and scold me for blocking him. He also claimed to know what type of language I should be capable of using and that I was exploiting free speech.

I did not let that go. Can you believe the ego on this one? Well, you must know what I said to him, literally as well as in so many words - yes, a big Fuck YOU. To his credit, he seems to have respected my request to not contact me again. Even if he does, there will be no exchange.

It's perfectly fine to disagree with me - I enjoy a spirited exchange of ideas. But to lecture me and the world about a harmless photo was over the line. He missed the point entirely and instead of shutting up and moving on, went even further, into the land of Oh No You Di-int.

Had he taken the matter offline originally, that might have been different, but still, no one asked for opinions. Look at it or don't - it's a personal choice. I won't make it for others and I don't want it made for me.

Now, fill the cup all the way or give me a discount.

5 comments:

griffin said...

Ooooooh, I know exactly how you feel. I hate it especially when they fill your coffee cup with one of those press carafes and you get 1/3 a cup of foam. I could just choke someone.

griffin said...

You gonna post the thread so we can experience the full nerviness of that douche?

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

That's one (of many) reasons why I love Peet's - they never use those crappy things that make the coffee taste like plastic and they *ask* you if you want room for cream. I fugging hate these places that leave a third of the cup empty. Um, hello, that's $2 right there - FILL IT THE FUCK UP.

And no, I think it's best to let the thread die a quiet death. I think he had good intentions at the root of it all, he just went about it the completely wrong way, and I'm kindof an intolerant asshole sometimes.

Anonymous said...

You did good. More and more, I'm believing that the only way we can get ourselves back to truly civil discourse is to simply take away the microphone from people who have not matured enough to respect the issue, the forum and the people being addressed.

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

Thanks Rooty - the support is mucho appreciato'ed. You make a good point - just because we have email/comments/forums doesn't mean everyone is qualified to use them.

And my mother wonders why I can't stand Fox "News," where everyone is shouting at each other.

On that note, I realized yesterday that our basic cable doesn't include Fox News - CNN, MSNBC, Canada's News Network, Headline News, but no Fox - that has to be ordered extra. ; )