Friday, January 16, 2009

Easily Distracted


The phone rang the other night just as I was starting to make David a tiny little pizza for dinner. We rarely use that household appliance - it's always a little discombobulating when it starts making that noise it makes.

Much to my surprise, it was my good friends G Money and Super Crafty serenading me with "IIIIII'm coming up so you better get this party started..." See, they're coming to visit next week and thought it would be a good idea to actually speak on the telephone appliance machine, which turns out to be handy in these situations.

I was excited to chat with them and went about making David's pizza while enjoying a lively conversation, talking about all the things we might do while they're in town.

By the time I hung up the phone, the pizza was in the oven and I was cleaning up the kitchen. I kept thinking there was something I'd forgotten.... Hmm... what could it be....

Pizza sauce.

I'd just made a nice pan of cheesy bread with pepperoni on it. Cheese I could see through the oven window was all melted and way beyond catching to fix my mistake, and that was the last crust. I could have scraped it off and started over... but that seemed like SO MUCH WORK.

Wondering how I was going to fix this blunder, I skipped into the front room and explained to David that he was about to enjoy a very satisfying festival of cheese with the spicy kick of pepperoni and who in the world wouldn't love that!? My grandmother used to nick the cheesy bread from Sizzler all the time! He gave me a weird look.

I found the pizza sauce and doctored it to make a thick, tasty dipping accompaniment. If Little Caesar's can do it, anyone can.

When the pepperoni cheese bread was done, I sliced it into narrow, dip-able pieces and assembled it on a large plate around the ramekin of sauce - it looked like a perfect pub snack.

I brought it into David and said, "Hey, check out THIS fun dinner!" I thought he'd be kinda peeved but he busted out laughing. He loved it. This is when I love his inner teenage gamer side.

No comments: