Friday, January 21, 2011

New Year, New Me, New Ewe...


(thanks for the photo, Lisa!)

Good lord this thing is dusty. Put the blog in storage last year when I decided I'd go back to school at the ripe ol' age of GET OFF MY LAWN.

It wasn't so much the classes as it was the homework... Way. Too. Much. I get it - you have to repeatedly huff the chemicals - build up your tolerance. Make umpteen many prints of whatthefuckever to get it right and make the excessive quantity to be of the utmost quality. Blow me.

I missed playing with the blog, but the worst part - no TV. No Real Housewives of Anywhere. I haven't missed that much TV since I had mono in high school and could only lay in bed and drool.

But, I lived through it - mono, and my first semester - with a 3.8 GPA even. My proudest achievement - no longer the chopstick chair, though I love it so - no, it's the macaroni art I turned in for my final 2D project. I'd like to think I'm the only one who's ever used pasta for a final art school project, but that can't be true, can it?


(not a holiday piece - just complimentary colors on the wheel and I had a shit ton of red paint to use up)

To make this delicious piece at home, all you need is the pasta of your choice, whatever paint you have on hand, some elmer's glue, a bucket and rubber gloves.

Mix your paint with some elmers and maybe a little water - get it to the consistency of a good alfredo sauce - saucy, but not too thin, not too thick - it needs to evenly coat your 'roni. Dump in the pasta, mix to coat, then drop lovingly all over the substrate of your choice. Change colors and repeat however many times you like. Let dry and if you like, spray w/ a coat of poly urethane for gloss & protection. Bon Apetit!

Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. Not only did it look the way I wanted, it was FUN. Would love to make another one. Any requests?

But in the meantime... many more photo classes to get through and this year I made one resolution - to make a brand new photo every day in 2011 and post it on Flickr. An actual, considered photograph - not the junk I spew out of my phone every day. Something just for me, every day, not for a class.

So far, so good...


Happy New Year to all of you and I hope 2011 is a kickass year!

3 comments:

wella said...

Glad to see you posted on your blog! Please post some of your school art here. I want to see another angle of the pasta project, please.

A friend of mine JUST finished his Photo du Jour blog today (he started it late, in 2010). So I'm looking forward to your images on Flickr.

Happy New Year to you, too!!

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

Hi Wella! Happy to post more art stuff here - I uploaded a sort of photo essay of the entire semester to Flickr - hard to believe I did all that now. It was such a blur. Definitely missed the blog - don't want to neglect it like that again!

If you want to see more art school fun, it's all here: - the pasta project is in the first 10 shots.

XOXOXO!

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

p.s. - open that link in a new tab - couldn't code it to do that in the comments - blogger said no!