Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Ass End of April


Sure am happy May is here - April sucked.

A couple of weeks ago David was suddenly "reassigned" at his job without any warning or rationale, after five years of stellar performance and constant, consistent high praise.

The reason they first gave was that a few deliverables weren't on target. Deliverables he had no clear requirements for, nor any feedback to guide the direction, despite repeated requests for requirements and reviews.

The second reason had something to do with supervisory style, yet, he was not a supervisor. What's next - he was coming in too early and staying a little too late? What's the actual story kids?

I think what a friend said might be true, that it's becoming more common to work in companies run by people who have no clue how to run a successful business.

And without any time to process all this crap, his grandfather passed - not unexpectedly, though still sad - and he had to jump on a plane back east.

Today I went to move his car into the driveway and it didn't turn over. He left his parking lamps on for, I'm guessing, three days. I jumped it and drove it around for 45 minutes, but I'm not sure it'll be enough. He might light it on fire if it's still dead when he gets home.

And now I think Neo is depressed, missing his dad - I'm hoping that's all it is. He wasn't interested in his dinner, but to be fair, I didn't give them wet food tonight, which to Neo is what makes the sun come up every day. He seemed to perk up when I put his dad on speaker phone later on.

As my dad said, you never know when something might jump up & bite you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed, both on the subject of April sucking ("cruelest month," hell yeah!) and that the 80/20 rule is in effect when it comes to smart people running successful companies. But giving it 20% is probably generous.

Smart people don't get into middle (or even upper) management, play office politics, or run for President. Smart people find work they love and do it. Smart people worry more about their cats than their careers. Smart people help others and find love in the world.

Corny, but look at where you two guys are. :)

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

We love corn - ask anyone. So, when do we form our own society, put up the gates and issue ID cards? Why does there seem to be so much more stupid? How is that a part of natural selection? OK I'll stop... I'll go have a can of corn.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm.... corn.

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

corn DOGS!

Anonymous said...

corn dog PIE! (trust me, a W.Va. taste sensation)