Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Slippery Slope


Today at Costco I realized I'm in dangerous territory. Not Costco, though THAT MANY Kit Kats is plenty dangerous, as are those ginormous bags of Kettle Chips.

No, I realized, while considering whether or not I should buy a metric ton of Kashi, discussing this with myself, out loud, that I love talking to myself. More than with other people.

To be fair, I rarely talk to other people anymore. I talk to myself way more than I do other people. And I'm OK with that. I like it. I am an excellent conversationalist. I know just what to say and when to say it - even HOW to say it. I'm such a good listener, too. I really HEAR me.

Even more dangerous, I don't care if people overhear my me-me conversations. Join us! We're having a stimulating conversation about bags of flash-frozen chicken! And pork. That is a LOT of pork, but that's good pork. And we can freeze it. Do they have cupcakes? I really want a cupcake - not a giant fat sponge muffin and definitely not 12 giant fat sponges. Nope, no cupcakes. Should we go? Are we done? I think so. Let's go.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I would LOVE to be in that Costco listening to you babbling about. That would make my day. You MUST tape yourself and post podcasts. It would be the new Twitter. Nothing is better than people talking aloud to themselves who 1) aren't REALLY having a conversation on a headset phone and 2) aren't having a psychotic break.

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

Ooh... careful what you wish for. ;) If nothing else, I could help insomniacs drop off into a blissful slumber.

When I got my bluetooth thingie for the car I felt a little relieved that now, while driving around talking to myself, which I do constantly, I might look a little less deranged.

David's walked into a room so many times to ask, "What?" only to realize the lengthy conversation he heard never included him.

This is how it starts... it won't be long before I'm wearing my bra on the outside of my shirt.

Goon: said...

I talk to myself constantly. Especially at work. My coworkers have gotten used to it. Matter of fact I think they use it as a status check...when is it time to eat, how much progress I've made with this project or that.

Anonymous said...

john is always telling me how totally funny you are, and i've been meaning to read your blog forever. SO glad i checked in today.

i really, REALLY identify with this entry. me and my life in wardensville - husband on the road all week - i'm alone A LOT. mostly, i'm fine with that. i keep up my own conversation. and yes, now even in public. i always know just what to say to myself!

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

Thank you aioseh! That's so lovely to read.

I'm relieved to know there are many of us out there having these conversations with ourselves!

Makes me think of Lily Tomlin's idea to pair up the homeless schizophrenics in NYC so it might appear as if they're talking with each other.