Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Time & Energy

This morning I was reminded of something I heard on NPR this past weekend - stories about time, time travel, and a theory about how time is not linear at all. Time just is.

Every moment we experience just is - it's not past, present or future. It exists. Meaning, everything is what it is and we're all here experiencing moments that just are, and there isn't any free will.

Trippy, huh?

What got me thinking about time was energy... That there must be some sort of energy at work that I find fascinating. Before all the wedding hub-bub started, I wasn't unaware of the possibility of getting married. It had occurred to us both long before that time - we'd discussed our feelings about it, the pros & cons. It's not like it hadn't come up before.

But all that time, there were never any "signs" or coincidences that could have shown we were headed in one direction or another. Bear with me, I'll hopefully come to some sort of point in a moment.

So, last December we got engaged and Mom went loopy and started immediately planning everything -- but it was a very low key affair - low stress, low administration - mellow. Not much hub-bub at all, really.

This event didn't take over our lives or become an all out gonzo project requiring time off work. Life proceeded as normal, albeit a little busier than usual. I took Bart to work as I always do, I did a few crosswords now & then and passed the occasional street performer in the Bart station.

In the three months leading up to the wedding, nearly every crossword puzzle I did contained clues about getting married, though previous to this time period, I don't remember seeing any crosswords containing clues like that.

Also in that three month span, every time a certain saxophone player was in the Bart station (about twice a week) he played the same song - the song that's plays when Melanie Griffith and Harrison Ford enter Trask's daughter's wedding reception in the movie Working Girl.

I'd never heard the saxophone player play that before and I would remember it if he had. I love that movie and when I hear that song I can see Melanie and Harrison walking into the crazy tiki reception.

So maybe all this was supposed to happen - or just is. As for the funny coincidences of the crossword puzzles and the saxophone player, I'm not sure how all that fits in.

Some would say that because I was about to get married, I was likely more aware of such things and that's why I noticed them - that it had been happening all along but I didn't realize it because getting married wasn't forefront in my mind.

Well, I've done a number of crosswords since the wedding and I've not come across one with a clue regarding marriage, weddings, cohabitation, dating - nuthin. And this morning the saxophone player was only blowing spit out of his horn.

No comments: