Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Too Much Karl


I love the Ricky Gervais Podcasts - love them. It's great when something makes Ricky laugh so hard it sounds like he must be wetting his pants.

Throughout the first season, Karl was somewhat quiet except for his Monkey News. Monkey News consists of fantastic tales of monkeys (actually chimpanzees) performing incredible feats normally handled by humans (like controlling a rocket into space, landing an airplane, performing surgery, etc.), and during the telling of these tales, Ricky becomes very angry at Karl for broadcasting total bullshit.

There were some gems from the first season. Karl's translation of Ben Franklin's "waste not want not": "Don't be chuckin' that out, you might need it later." Or when discussing the proverb about people who live in glass houses...: "People who live in glass houses have to answer the door. "

But these doses of Karl were small and well spaced throughout each show, and I was downloading and listening to shows only once a week. With Season 2, I may have made a mistake.

With the second season, I downloaded them all at once and put them on my Nano. This week I've been listening to shows back-to-back and I think I've overloaded on Karl.

It's too much weirdness at once. When asked how he would spend the day with or what he'd do if he encountered his doppelganger: "How would I know which one was me?"

Today I listened to the show where he was supposed to report what he'd learned about Freud. About Freud's theory on the stages of life, he thought Freud was saying "you should drink milk because it's good for you."

It gets to the point where it's too much, but I can't stop listening. In the future, I think I have to go back to listening only once a week, otherwise I'm afraid I could end up actually understanding some of the shit Karl says.

Some Karl Pilkington Fansites/Info:
http://www.rickygervais.com/karlpilkington.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Pilkington
http://www.karl-pilkington.com/

No comments: