Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Spider Senses



This sign was in the lobby of my doctor's building last week.

A couple of weeks ago I had a strange encounter like I've never had before. I've lived in downtown Oakland and the Tenderloin, and in both places I never had a problem with anyone. I kept my head up and no one ever bothered me. Never paranoid, just aware.

The other day, as I pulled into the bart parking garage, I saw a guy ambling down the stairs from the second level. I noticed him because I tend to commute a bit later than the crush hour and the garage is usually very quiet at that time. He was carrying a bottle of what looked like orange gatorade and seemed in no hurry to get anywhere.

As I turned the corner through the first level up to the second level, I saw him slowly turn around and head back up the stairs toward the second level. I didn't think much of it and continued up to the second level to find a spot.

I got out and put my keys away, still wearing my suburban cocoon I resist leaving every morning. As I zipped up my bag and walked toward the stairs, I noticed Gatorade Man was walking toward me on the other side of the lane.

By this time a few of other people had come into the garage and were also making their out of the garage, so I wasn't totally alone. I thought it was odd that Gator Man was headed away from the train station, but didn't think much of it.

But as I passed him I heard his footsteps change. He turned around and was now right behind me headed toward the station. But whatever - a few of us were all headed toward the station. I picked up my pace anyhow, 'cause I never like anyone walking right behind me.

But something in my gut had flipped. Something wasn't right. Why was this guy, who moments earlier had been casually coming down the stairs, now right behind me? It didn't feel right. He was a big guy, too. At least 6', maybe 6'2" or 3", about 200lbs.

I kept on, walking as quickly as I could without looking like I was hustling. I jammed through the turnstile at the station and up the escalator. At this point, I was certain this guy was following me. Maybe he saw the soccer mom car and thought he found an easy mark. Who knows.

Once up on the platform, I walked down a ways to board a car some distance from the front. Moments later, he came off the escalator and walked up to where the front cars stop. I watched him until the train came, and as soon as the doors opened, I jumped on board and found a spot near the door on the far side of the car.

I watched as he walked down the platform past several, uncrowded cars to board the same car I was on. Coincidence? Maybe. But when your gut tells you it isn't, that's all you have to go on, and it probably shouldn't be ignored.

Then again, the imagination can take over and I'm not immune. When you don't know what might be happening, you can fill in the blanks with all sorts of things, so it's possible that absolutely nothing suspicious was going on. Thankfully, we'll never know for sure.

However, it was strange that he would walk past several cars to board where I got on, so I filed that away and when the opportunity presented itself, I snapped a picture of him with my camera phone.

When the train stopped where I get off, I waited while lots of other people filed off the train. Just before the doors were about to close, I jumped off the train. He followed. Now I was spooked. I ran up the escalators and didn't look back until I was inside the lobby of my building.

I waited behind a pillar and after a few minutes, he strolled by. I'd never seen him before that day, and haven't seen him since. It could have just been a strange chain of coincidences. I hope that's all it was. So remember, always trust your instincts, keep your head up and stay safe.

2 comments:

ms. crafty said...

It's so apooky I'm shivering. Ick. I guess cameraphones are useful after all.

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

Totally - that phone was super handy when I was in a car accident a couple years ago. I had no other camera with me that day & used the phone to get pictures of everything - my insurance company LOVED that.

And sure, even better if it can help keep us safe in other ways.

But it's really true - trust your gut & do whatever you need to do to stay safe.
Power to the people.