Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Crispy Air


warehouse light in oakland

Walking to pick up lunch today, the air outside was different. It had that subtle crispness that means, summer is over. Fall was in the air. Bummed me out.

As a kid I hated this time of year - it meant going back to school. No more long days running around outside until it was dark - all day to do whatever I wanted... Now it means soon it'll be dark outside long before it's time to head home from work. Blah.

But now it's time again for the Race for the Cure. I wonder how long it'll take me this year to recover from running a 5K without any training. Any typical training, that is.

My regimen this year has consisted of running up & down Bart escalators, moving extremely heavy furniture around the house, countless loads of laundry (which includes stairs), shopping downtown, vacuuming, swiffering, catching rats, watching Deadwood, and kayaking. I'm totally ready.

2 comments:

griffin said...

Yesterday, I noticed a completely different angle of sunlight coming in through our back porch window. I thought the same thing - here's autumn. Sigh.

For me, it's not so much the temperature change as it is the shortened days. Growing up in Minnesota winters, that combination of waking up to the bitter cold darkness and coming home from school in the bitter cold darkness was brutal. I used to fantasize about wintering (or double summering) in Tierra del Fuego in order to get 15 hours of daylight.

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

I would LOVE 15 hours of daylight every day. Can't imagine how cold a Minnesota winter must be, but I can't stand the loss of daylight. I definitely hear you on that.

One good thing is that oftentimes the air can be super clean and clear, and that combined with the lower angle of the sun creates a totally different type of lighting that can make really cool photos.

Winter photo shoot field trips! Oh, but we'll have to go early in the day... right.