Sunday, November 25, 2007

Redesigning a House


So yesterday after breakfast I asked David if he wanted to hear my ideas for redesigning the house - my virtual tour of what could be - and for the most part, he thought it all made sense.

But boys are different than girls - especially when it comes to redesigning a house.

He thought the master bedroom would make a really great office - for him. It's the second largest room in the house - a nice big, square room that would make an ideal kitchen (compared to the glorified hallway kitchen we have now), providing ample room for long counters, cabinets, and a center island cook/work station.

Or, it would make an ideal boy's office/play room, with ample room for his big corner desk & cabinets, and the game set up on the other side. I can imagine what he's thinking and he's right - anyone would love an office that big. And it's right next to the bathroom - bonus!

But since we don't have a nice big budget or a team of workers, we reorganized the living room instead. This is always fun because he always comes up with an idea I didn't think of.

The trick is maintaining focus - not changing main goal of the room as we go - because sometimes his ideas drift into the land of "ultimate play space," which I think he would like to incorporate into every room in the house.

The one idea he had that I wasn't sure about ended up to be a great solution. I'd almost totally shot down his idea, but he convinced me to try it out. As I moved my stuff around to accommodate the new layout, I said, "OK, I secretly love this." He secretly loved it, too.

And while it's fun to talk about all the changes we might make to this place, we also think about the ease of just moving to a house with a better layout and one without a mental case across the street. I think we're leaning toward the reduced mental case option.

No comments: