Sunday, December 02, 2007

I Drove a Pickup Truck

Yes, it was a big weekend - drove a Ford 150 pickup truck, and now I understand why people love their trucks.

Compared to my sensible little station wagon, that truck hauls ass, along with large items I couldn't houdini into my wagon. And I had way better visibility down the road - it helps to be tall.

At the root of all this is HGTV, a channel my friend "Jeannie," aka Shauna, says I shouldn't watch because they broadcast subliminal messages.

The only messages I'm picking up are "STOP LIVING WITH CLUTTER," "CLEAN UP YOUR HOVEL," and "IT'S OK TO GET RID OF UNUSABLE SHIT."

Jeannie thinks she gets messages like MUST GO SPEND MONEY AT HOME DEPOT. Maybe those messages are there, but I'm not receptive to them. I don't have any money and I hate Home Depot, so I should be OK.

Work had been slow the past few months and that led to hours and hours of HGTV while I went about de-cluttering the house and redesigning rooms to be more functional.

We dropped off a full carload of donations to Goodwill and now have more recycling than we have bin space - it'll take at least three weeks to dispose of it all.

And then I decided to get rid of an old desk that serves only as a clutter magnet and replace it with a computer armoire - at least I'll be able to close the doors if it starts getting messy. So onto Craigslist to search for a gently used solution.

Found a great piece and the only way to get it home - rent a truck. Unfortunately they don't rent gun racks, but the truck alone was great. It made it so much easier to get the armoire home and I got to experience the thrill of a V8.

Now we just need to rip up the old linoleum, paint, put in a new floor, then move everything back into my office. After only 6 years of having a half-assed room/office/storage space/nightmare, it'll be a place where I can actually work.

Soon I'll have Before and After pics to post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, pickup truck girls. As you know, a pickup truck girl owns my heart. Furthermore, SHEMBO shops regularly at Goodwill. As Goodwill stores occasionally swap merchandize, I suspect that your goods will slowly migrate cross-country and we shall eventually own all your discarded clutter.

Loving pickup truck girls comes with its own pitfalls. *sigh*

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

I would be honored if SHEMBO comes across our former clutter!