Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Dumbino


Holy crap - "Domino" is one of the worst movies ever ever made.

It's not bad enough to be good - it's just stinky stanky. I don't know why I kept watching it. Damn you HBO and your no commercials.

I guess I had to see for myself where it could possibly be going, thinking it might start making sense. At one point someone mentioned something about a ferret on meth - I think that was the writer. None of it made any sense and Keira tried so hard to be cool it was painful.

Otherwise, it was chock full of capable talent. Christopher Walken, Jacqueline Bissett, Delroy Lindo, Dabney Coleman, Lucy Liu, Tom Waits, and some bit players who did a good job. It could have been smart & funny if the director hadn't tried to make it a coolness contest.

Oh, and the worst thing - the ending was a total bite on True Romance (which was probably bitten from another movie). Did Tony think we wouldn't notice he used the same ending he'd shot before? Lame.

But in other news, my cold/flu/coughing phlegm-fest is on its way out, thanks to a truckload of vitamin C. Oh, and I fucking hate the 4th of July and the fucking idiots who light off noisy fireworks at 10 o'fucking clock at night.

It wasn't some kid, it was the kid's stupid father who should know better, setting off firecrackers, high-pitched whistling shit and other exploding crap. And why isn't the kid in bed already? Man, I'm totally on the fast track to shouting at people from the front porch to get the hell out of my yard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. From decrying pseudocoolness to screaming at the neighbor kids. Zero to fogey in 60 seconds!

Hope you feelin' better soon, punkin, and returning to your hip snarkiness that we come to know and love so well.

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

I know - it's shocking even to me how quickly the fogey comes on. But really - firecrackers at 10:30 at night? Really? OK, maybe if the whole neighborhood was blowing shit up, maybe, but when it's dead quiet except for your exploding brick? Who does that? How clueless and self-absorbed do ya have to be?

Fogeys unite!

Anonymous said...

P.S., I was hoping that Domino was going be a good movie ... it had lots of the elements of a classic ... but SO many people hated it on SO many levels when it opened, that I didn't even put it on my Netflix list to scan through randomly.

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

I know - I thought it might be at least fun. I'd forgotten about its skewering when it first came out, but 10 minutes into it, I could feel I was making a big mistake. Did I change the channel? No, because you don't just switch off a movie channel you pay good money for. You watch that crap & pay close attention to every minute.

Speaking of which, History of Violence was on last night - now that was fun!