Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Rehab Deprogramming Therapy


The smart thing to do would have been to take a solid break from all work after quitting my job. Like take the whole summer off and ride my bike around town like I did when I was 10. Go on local photo safaris. Write a book. Read all my Calvin & Hobbes and Mutts books. Do stacks of crossword puzzles.

Or just sit and do nothing at all.

I still feel tired. Worn out. Happier, but not yet recharged or totally rehabbed. The tank still feels empty. I could sleep for a year. That place was so toxic and debilitating. It was like drinking just enough poison every day to get sick, but not enough to kill you.

So, I'm trying to work in a little down time where I can. On the days when I can do laundry, keep up on the dishes, take a walk, shop, go out to lunch, play with a camera, make dinner, and tidy up a room, it feels miles away from email, work and meetings. I'd have never guessed that being all wifey could feel so good.

4 comments:

Mir said...

Did I not warn you? Did I not try to "produce" you to take some "me" time? Okay, okay, I'll stop with the "I told you so". Only if you promise to take some more time for yourself. I won't relent. Take it from someone still on the inside - you deserve some time off!

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

No, you're right - you're absolutely right. I went for a run today. Felt totally indulgent and wonderful, and I didn't cough up a spleen.

Mir said...

Good girl! Keep it up - I promise to keep "Producing" you on this task of me-time!

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

I need to lose 20lbs in three weeks - can you produce that? : )) Actually, I bet you could, and that scares me just a little (Mirjam Boot Camp!)