Thursday, January 10, 2008

Dave the Plumber


Today while cat-sitting for a friend I met Dave the Plumber. Really nice guy - super mellow. He reminded me of the science teacher in Fast Times @ Ridgemont High.

He had to take a pump or something or other back to his shop and as he was leaving, he said he'd be gone for about an hour if I needed to run out for anything.

I thanked him and said I'd be sticking around as I had some work I had to finish. He asked what I was working on and I told him I was working on an article.

With that he asked if I was a writer or a journalist. I said "writer" and his eyes lit up and he excitedly said that he, too, was working on something, and really feels for the writers on strike in L.A., and he's working on a movie, a dark, French drama - really moody.

I told him I'd love to be writing a dark, moody, French drama, but instead I was crafting an action-packed, thrill-a-minute piece about IT governance. He glazed over and said he'd be back soon.

Cat-sitting has been fun, I must say. Although when I get home I feel like my cats know I've been cheating on them, but they don't seem to mind. Cat culture is very different than ours.

No comments: