Friday, January 04, 2008

Shmesolutions

Not really into the resolution thing. It's silly to pick just one day to change your life or decide to floss more.

If you want to do it, do it now - who cares what day it is? And who said January 1st is the start of a new year? Technically, wouldn't it be the day after your birthday?

Last fall I resolved to stop stressing about little things, taking solace in the belief that everything always works out, so just let it go.

Lo and behold, it's held true. Whatever it is, it works out. For example - I bought a computer armoire off Craigslist from a lovely woman and while it's a great piece, I thought it might be a tad irresponsible to part with a chunk of cash when my cash flow is so sporadic.

But I rationalized that #1, I needed it if I wanted to transform what was a shit pile of a room into a comfortable, functional office; #2, she would put the money to good use with twins on the way and her husband looking for work; and #3, it's recycling/reusing instead of buying new, which is always a good thing.

About a month later while cleaning out my office, I found a small stack of papers/magazines and in it, an expense check from my last job I'd obviously lost track of - and it was for the same amount as I'd just paid for the armoire. Even Steven.

And I have resolved that 2008 will be the year I see a dentist. It's only been 6 or 7 years since I last sat in one of those torture racks, but since we still don't have the Do It Yourself Filling Replacement Kit, it's time to put on my big girl panties and find a Dr. Scrivello. With enough Valium, I know I can get through it, though I probably won't remember getting home from it.

No comments: