Sunday, June 25, 2006

Untended

Drinking or being drunk without supervision is usually a mistake. I've made this mistake a few times in the past. A few dozen times, perhaps. A few many dozen times or so, but not that often. In short, it's something I don’t recommend.

The type of drinking I'm referring to isn't solitary drinking in the comfort of your own home while bidding on heinous eBay items or watching VH1. Although that also should not be allowed to happen. Though there's little likelihood of serious damage, except maybe for passing out & cracking your head on the edge of the sink or running up your Visa debt.

This weekend I happened to find myself in a precarious, unsupervised situation for the first time in a long time. I met David and an Army Game guest from out of town at our favorite hang out down the street.

Quite by accident, two strong, tasty margaritas fell into my mouth and down into my stomach, one right after the other. It happened so fast, there was no time to react or maybe have dinner along with them.

Before I knew it I was making my way from the restaurant, looking for fun things to do before walking home. David had to drop off the army guy at the hotel, so I was left unattended in my sloppy state.

Two margaritas may not seem like much, but when they’re strong and you haven’t been drinking for a while and you started with an empty stomach, that’s all it takes.

I was easily sucked into Peet’s for a frothy mocha Freddo. From Peet’s I wandered over to the bookstore and cruised the tables picking up all sorts of things. I left there without doing too much damage and started my journey home.

I remember snapping a multitude of phone photos. Unlike the night I redecorated my apartment in vomit, I’m sure the camera phone photos will be harmless. But the whole situation is rife with potential peril. Anything could happen.

No comments: