Sunday, September 30, 2007

I Love the New Weather Guy


The weekend weather dude on KTVU - Byron Miranda - he is fantastic. I don't know what he knows about meteorology and I don't care.

During an evening news broadcast a few weeks ago as the school year was starting up, the news anchor passed the baton to Byron, asking him to give the back-to-school forecast for the upcoming week.

The camera cut to Byron and he said, and I'm paraphrasing only a little: "That's right kids, stay in school or you'll end up a weather man like me... not that that's a bad thing... I've had a lot of jobs... I was an Oakland cop for a while... they called me Barney Fife... I didn't like that too much... So, let's see what tomorrow's weather will look like..."

It was the best, weird weather intro train wreck I've ever had the pleasure to see on live television. This guy's always seemed a bit weird, but this was above and beyond. I was howling, wondering if he was going to be fired before the end of the broadcast, but no - he's still hangin' on.

Prior to this, his most annoying habit (to me) was repeatedly saying, "So when you head out to Starbucks in the morning for your latte, you're going to want a [sweater] [jacket] [scarf] [etc.]." I thought he must have Starbucks stock.

He's not doing that very much anymore, but it's always exciting to see what his next lead-in might be. "That's right Ken, drug use is a big problem in our country - I've been on meth, H, and the cracked cocaine... So let's see what tomorrow's forecast looks like as you head out to find a hit..."

"Thanks Ken... that toy recall is scary business... That reminds me of a toy I had as a boy - a big, beautiful yellow Tonka dump truck I played with every day, filling it up with my mom's Lee Press-On Nails and dumping them in the backyard... Let's see what tomorrow's forecast looks like as you head out to your local nail salon for that sweet manicure..."

There's some fun chatter on the interweb about Byron and other stations where he's delivered these strange forecasts - sounds like it's always been his unique style of delivery.

This was his last, very serious SEVERE WEATHER TEAM:

WE ARE SEVERE AND THE WEATHER IS SEVERE AND YOU WILL DEAL WITH THIS REAL, SEVERE SEVERITY AND THE DUDE ON THE RIGHT IS OVER 8' TALL AND WILL CRUSH YOU LIKE A BUG.

Then they photoshopped him out, which just seems cold (and lazy) and the dude on the right came down to just over 7' tall:

And then they became Men's Wearhouse spokesmen with the guy in the middle still a big bigger than his colleagues, clearly bigger than the guy on the left - no doubt as to who runs that weather team:

Anywho - good luck to you Byron. I can't believe they let you go on camera unsupervised, but it sure has added some fun unpredictability to the weekend forecast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, but THIS fellow is the all-time winner for crazy weatherdude.

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

Oh... my... GOD - that guy is freakin cracked! He's gotta be related to Jerry Lewis. I don't even think that's drug-induced - he's too consistent! I love it!