Thursday, February 14, 2008

AND

It really irks me when I hear people say "two thousand AND eight," or "two thousand AND [insert number here]."

It's just TWO THOUSAND EIGHT. No and. And what? Two thousand and four score and eight years and twelve cats?

JUST LEAVE OUT THE AND already.

And...

Yesterday I saw a commercial for a magical cold remedy that transformed what appeared to be a miserable, suffering mother of two small children into a happy, skipping, energetic playmate for her kids.

If that's really what happens, I can't wait to try some - as soon as possible - why wait for a cold. I didn't realize that over-the-counter cold medicines now contained E and speed.

And...

Does anyone care less than I do about Roger Clemens and what he shot into his ass?

2 comments:

Tyra said...

Add this to your angst: My mother SWEARS that's how she was taught in school. In fact, she will say with her attitude fully extended, she distinctly remembers writing three hundred and five dollars on practice checks in school....

Have they changed the English language since then?? I mean, she's not that old....

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

lol - I know that's how it's written on checks, but did we ever say "nineteen hundred and eighty five" when talking about 1985?

Tonight we're gonna party like it's nineteen hundred and ninety nine...

Just doesn't work... I don't think AP has a rule for this, but I'm making my own rule - no AND in the year!

That's amazing your mom was taught how to write checks in school. I guess my school just assumed we'd be using plastic by the time we'd be old enough to spend any money.