Sunday, January 14, 2007

Children of Sad

Gah... If you're in the mood for a good cry, go see Children of Men. I knew it would be dark and sad, but I went anyway.

Great film, but I'm done seeing movies that paint such a bleak picture of what could be. It makes me focus too much on how fucked up things are and how not enough people seem to give a shit and we're all ultimately doomed.

Maybe it can be a good thing to show a view of a dystopian future to wake up those who need it, but for those of us doing what we can to make a good future, already sensitive to the horribleness going on, it's a little overwhelming. Or as some say, it's very sadful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it a sign of age or self-imposed intellectual starvation that I find myself drawn anymore only to films that either show me something I've never seen before in a startlingly different way (say, "Being John Malkovich" or "Brazil") or something that's going to make me laugh or even smile despite a bleak outlook (say, "Bad Santa" or "Fargo")?

Either way, I really want to see "Children of Men," despite being an aging Pollyanna...

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

I guess it's age in that now I'm choosier about how I spend the time I have - it's becoming more precious every day!

That, and I think there's enough sadness and mediocrity in the world, so why in the world would I pay money to lose any time to something that isn't interesting, funny, or enlightening?

Children of Men was a good movie - the reviews are accurate - but with everything going on these days, it's hard to see a movie about more gone wrong & more despair. I have a tolerance (limit) now that I didn't have before.

I'm not going to see Cars anytime soon, but definitely Breach when it's out, the next Spiderman - fun stuff. It's supposed to be entertaining, right?