Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Sans Sucre!


It's true - I'm off sugar... mostly... and feelin' good. I've always had a sweet tooth, but it's a manageable addiction since we don't keep any garbage food in the house.

But then Christmastime arrives, and my mother goes into Red Sugar-Coated Cross mode, sending us endless boxes of goodies and treats. Why she thinks we need a metric ton of Biscoff cookies, giant chocolate wreaths, and many many many tubs of sugar chocolate coated gobs of sugary treats, I'll never know.

I love that she loves us that much - it's very sweet. Literally. But snacking on that stuff made me feel like crap. One day a few weeks ago, I had a couple of Biscoffs with a cup of coffee and a half an hour later, the crash was brutal. That was it. No more sugar.

I must confess, on Monday I had a dark chocolate pot de creme that I couldn't pass up. It was well worth it and thankfully there wasn't a crash because it was tiny and my lunch was very healthy.

But that's it - no other refined sugar, and it's been good. There are no more cravings and no interest in it when it's nearby.

It's good in other ways besides alleviating cravings & energy crashes. Sugar causes an insulin spike, which causes inflammation on a cellular level, and inflammation causes cells to age.

Read the entire lecture on Insulin and Its Metabolic Effects by Dr. Rosedale. It's long, but good info.

Now I just need that 24/7 room service/personal chef/grocery shopper to have all that healthy food ready to go whenever I need it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Depressing but true. Unsweetened dark chocolate is pretty damned fine, I've noticed.

griffin said...

Interesting. Me too on the sugar, mostly. Also, no refined flours - whole grain everything, pasta, bread, cereals. And trying a 75% reduction on dairy. Margaritas are OKAY, as long as you don't cut them with food ;)

Hazel Nootsmaak said...

Exactly - we loves us the whole grains & no dairy action.

And margaritas don't count at all when they're free...

Dark chocolate is important medicine. I think I need another dose right now.